Thursday, October 14, 2010

My new fav veggies and chimi's

I love cookbooks and getting ideas to put my own twist on. Sadly I lost all of mine during one of our many moves. I picked up the Pillsbury Cassic  Cookbook #344 Thanksgiving. They are the ones by the checkout lanes with all the magazines. Anyway, it has GREAT ideas in it. All the classic thanksgiving side dishes I grew up with are heavy on the dairy, though yummy, I want to have side dishes for my kids to grow up on that they ALL can eat. I don't want a holiday to make Aubree feel left out. Holidays are about bring a family closer not making one child feel left out. So I tried this one recipie and it was a huge hit! With the adults and kids! I just added some squash and zuccani from my garden and subbed extra virgin olive oil for the butter! I have scanned and attached the recipie.
Also pictured is the Chimmichangas I made. I use Nalley Brand original chilli. I start by putting a little olive oil in a pan and saute up some garlic, celery and onion. Then I add the chilli, some corn, a dash of salt and celery salt and some Sweet Baby Ray's Brand BBQ sauce. While this is going get a pan of vegitable oil heating up about 1/2 inch deep. Heat up Mission brand tortillas in the micorwave about 30 sec. for 3 at a time. Then place the chilli mix in the middle of the tortilla and fold two sides in then the other two so the chilli is all contained in the center. Once the oil is hot enough place the folded side down and cook till golden brown, then flip over and cook the top side till golden brown. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain. Serve with fresh chopped tomatoes, lettuce, salsa and whatever else you think sounds good!

No comments:

Post a Comment